top of page

One of the busiest ports in the country in 1889 Lyttelton was gazetted as an official port-of-entry on 30th August 1849 and was renamed nine years later in honour of Lord George Lyttelton, who was chairman of the Canterbury Association.The painting highlights the excitement and social gatherings during vessel arrivals and departures. The ships became celebrities and household names. Shipping movements were gazetted with much anticipation.

Lyttelton Port from Norwich Quay, 1889

    bottom of page