Sir Ernest Shackleton arrived in McMurdo Sound in late January 1908. On February 3rd he then landed at Cape Royds, where a suitable site for the hut was selected. Shackleton’s ship ‘Nimrod’ was moored and the pre-fabricated hut was unloaded. It was erected in just 10 days. The hut is depicted prior to the 2008 restoration by the Antarctica Heritage Trust.
top of page
bottom of page